Riggin-Pillatsch & Burke Funeral Home
HomeFuneral Pre-PlanningPre-Planning FormServicesDid You Know?HistoryFacilitiesStaffMap and DirectionsResource LinksObits and Register BookGrief SupportContact UsCommunity
History of the Funeral Home

webassets/FuneralHome1936.jpg
Funeral home in 1936 - present location

webassets/FuneralHome2000sm.jpg
Funeral home in 2000 - present location
 

The Riggin Funeral Home in Carterville, Illinois was established in 1930 by William Henry Riggin.  His funeral home was first located on West Illinois Avenue in Carterville and was moved to its present location, 322 North Division, in 1935.

Henry Riggin died in 1940 leaving the funeral home to his wife, Verna, and his two sons, Gordon and Geddes.

In 1952, Gordon bought both his mother and brother's shares of the funeral home and became the sole owner of Riggin Funeral home.

Gordon and his wife, Lucille, retired in 1976, selling the funeral home to Craig Pillatsch and his wife, Mary.  The name changed, adding Pillatsch to the name to become Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home.  After Mary's death, Craig married JoAnn Fields.  Craig and JoAnn Pillatsch retired in 2003, selling the funeral home to Michael Ray "Junior" Burke and his wife, Lori.

Michael Burke began his career at Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home in 1982 as an apprentice.  He worked for Craig Pillatsch for over twenty-one years.  Michael and Lori Burke have owned the funeral home since 2003 with the funeral home name changing again, by adding Burke as is now known as Riggin-Pillatsch & Burke Funeral Home.

webassets/FuneralHomeVehicles1936.jpg
Funeral home staff and vehicles - 1936

webassets/FuneralHomeVehicles2000.jpg
Funeral home staff and vehicles - 2000

webassets/FuneralHomeVehicles.JPG
Funeral home vehicles - 2008